Saturday, November 2, 2013

November 1, 2013


See what we're learning.
Talk and share with your child about the day.
Review and give extra help and practice if needed.

Today in First Grade

Since it is the first day of November, we started off the day by changing our calendar.  I do not change the calendar until the class is together and they see me do it and I talk about how and why it works like this.  It takes time, but it is a great learning experience and it only happens once each month.

Phonics: 


We practiced s blends.  When we do our phonics practice, it is also a time that I teach vocabulary, especially for the non-English speaking students.  Sometimes I act out what the words mean and sometimes I draw it out.  Usually I do both.  The students really like it when they also get to act the words out.  Today they got to skip.  And I talked about how slaps and fighting on movies is not as real as they make it seem and how they do the tricks to make it look real.  And we talked about some valuable things that stems do and some plants we eat that are stems.  So our phonics practice usually turns out to be more than just phonics.  I only wish we had more time for each thing we did.

Reading Groups:


Group A:     Rain       Follow Me

Group B:     Over the Oregon Trail     Riding My Bike

Group C:     Sleeping Animals      Looking for Fang


Math:

Today was a very easy lesson.  We were adding numbers to ten.  I introduced what a ten frame is and how it is made of five and five, just like our hands.  We then did worksheets that added numbers to ten.

After lunch we read books and went to the library.   However, both our PE teacher and our drama teacher could not come today.  So after our spelling test, we read a book together called   EEK! There's a Mouse in the House.  It was fun.  And then we watched a movie about weather, evaporation, condensation, precipitation, and all that kind of stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment